✪ Personal Life ✪
- Wow, it’s been like three months. :O
- I turned 28 in July and that was really fun. Let’s continue this pattern of having awesome birthdays.
- My big sister got married in June and the wedding was perfect. She was beautiful, the ceremony was beautiful, my fellow bridesmaids were beautiful, everything was beautiful. The best part was being reunited with people I haven’t seen in a long time. I got to see my brother, my cousin, my father, and some people I haven’t seen since I was a kid. It was just one of days when you know, while you’re still living it, that you will look back years later and smile. So I know my sister and brother-in-law will look back just grinning ear-to-ear. ^^
- Man… I was a proper fangirl during E3 2015, so maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t make a post about it when it happened. LOL. I’ll talk about that more in the gaming section.
- Our apartment complex had a unit-by-unit inspection a few weeks ago. I don’t think there is anything more uncomfortable than a stranger saying they’re going to look around your living space. So I hated it. That was the downside. The upside was that this inspection forced us to really give our place the makeover it needed. I’m really happy with how it looks now. ♥
- When pets do human-like things it’s so weird. For example, I was on the phone telling Mark what things to pick up at the grocery store, but I could not remember for the life of me this major item I was missing. So I’m sitting there going “What am I forgetting? What am I forgetting?” when Link gets up from the corner of the bed, walks up to me, meows, and then walks back to his corner. Dude… I was laughing so damn hard. It was hilarious yet so out of the blue. I know it’s likely a big coincidence but it’s so freaky that he would do something so random while I was trying to remember that he needed food. *sigh* I love him. Furry baby. ~_~
- I don’t know what else to add in regards to my personal life. I mean, I’m alive. I’m kicking. I know what needs improvement. I am working on those things constantly. That is basically the path I am on. Sooo~ that being said, on to other more relatable things.
✪ Art & Writing ✪
- I’ve been drawing a lot. Nothing worth sharing, but it is productive nonetheless. I picked up a few books on fantasy landscapes recently because I would love to actually work on designing my world. My main inspiration has been FFXII for a long time. It’s a fantasy world yet it has this very futuristic feel to it. You have towering castles with flying ships and holographic billboards–really neat mixes like that. As much as I love character designing (LOVE) I would love even more to branch out.
- Writing wise, I have not written as much as I would like. I have written out plenty of charts to keep track of storylines and descriptions, but nothing that moves my stories forward. I will also work on that. In terms of goals I would love to one day submit a story to one of those book printing websites along with a cover artwork, and have this physical copy of a story that I can touch. That would be sweet. ( ; u ; )
- My sketchbook collection is getting out of control now. I have at least ten sketchbooks of various sizes, textures, and colors just piled up with like… six or seven drawings in each of them. It’s sad. It’s the artistic equivalent of buying a ton of shoes and only wearing each pair once before tossing them in a closet forever. LOL. I’m working on it.
✪ Anime & Manga ✪
- I forgot how much I need Toriko in my life. It is so over-the-top ridiculous and it does not care if you know it. Anime masterpiece, 10 out of 10.
- Gangsta is my shit right now. I adore Nicolas, Alex, and Worick. I love the animation. It would really make my life if they would release new episodes everyday because it takes too long. D:
- This is more of a gaming thing because I started Hakuoki as the otome game, and then I branched off into the anime to see what the main storyline was like. I took the route that involved Saito but Hijikata is supposed to be the main character. Nonetheless, the series was as engaging as the game. It is definitely unpleasant to watch the same people die in a different format though. Not fun at all. LOL
- I’m not even going to get into that anime about “pillow boys”. It is so fucking uncomfortable watch.
- Honestly, my anime life has been whatever Mark is watching. Sometimes I like what he watches (ex: Food Wars) and other times I’m just not interested (an anime about a guy who talks to a giant demon and gets stronger by wearing weave. I don’t even remember what it’s called). He goes through animes a lot, so I can’t even remember half the shit I’ve watched with him.
✪ Video Games ✪
- E3 time!
- First off, let me say that I am ecstatic about the remake of Final Fantasy VII. I am aware of the risks that come with remaking classics, but I remain hopeful that they will stick to just upgrading what is already there with minimal additions. The keyword is hopeful. I heard on a Final Fantasy podcast that Nomura mentioned using Advent Children as his main inspiration for this remake, and I’m kind of like “eh”. I didn’t really hate Advent Children. It was just kind of… okay. Nonetheless, I am still excited to see how this all works out. The moment updates arrive of the HD version of the FFVII cast and locations I’ll definitely lose my shit. I hope Square-Enix realizes that–that fans who begged for a FFVII remake are looking forward to seeing an upgrade of a masterpiece, not a bunch of unnecessary shit. Even works of art need to be touched up from time to time to maintain their beauty. I get that. I just hope that Square-Enix gets that. I want to see the emotional expressions of characters during some of FFVII’s most memorable scenes, I want to hear their voices, I want to experience that motorcycle chase with the city lights of Midgar all around. I’m getting so thrilled just thinking about it! But if it’s just a pretty mess then no thanks. Like, I don’t want there to be this overdramatic rendition of Aerith’s death where everyone is making cheesy speeches at her grave. It was so sad because everyone bottled it up, you know? It’s things like that I’m worried about. *sigh* Well… we will see.
- Speaking of things I’m hoping won’t get screwed up: NIER 2. HOW IS THIS EVEN HAPPENING? The FFVII remake, sure. I was expecting that it was a possibility even though SE insisted it would not happen. Nier, on the other hand, was not very popular or well-liked. It got mediocre reviews and only a small circle of devout fans (*raises hand*) insisted that it was a brilliant game. So, believe me, this announcement is a major surprise! I remember I heard about it while watching a live tweet and waiting in the car for Mark to get off work, and the moment it was announced my heart just skipped a beat. I was so happy! It’s going to be fantastic. Keiichi Okabe returning is fantastic. If Emi Evans returns that will be fantastic. Taro Yoko was fantastic for showing up in that Emil mask. The team behind Bayonetta will be working on this sequel which is also fantastic. Did I say fantastic enough? LOL. Anyway, this team is flawless. I can’t wait for more updates.
- The best news about Kingdom Hearts 3 didn’t even come until after E3. As usual someone was bantering about light and darkness, so I didn’t really pay that any mind, and I wasn’t too into the worlds they introduced either. I’ve already been introduced to the Hercules world multiple times in KH so Olympia is a decent selection, I guess. I feel the same way about Tangled that I do about Frozen: basic. Sorry. The protagonists even look like siblings or something, that is how bland those movies are to me. As far as movies go they are decent, but as far as introducing one or the other to the KH world I’m just kind like, “Sure. Why not?” I’m not particular thrilled to meet anyone from that world in the game anyway. I guess if they make Flynn join and do some type of “smolder” attack I’d laugh. That’s about it. BUT I am excited about Big Hero 6 being a world. Sora will inevitably get a costume for that and become a superhero. Or maybe not. I hope he does though.
- There were some other games there that piqued my interest too, but I’m not going to get into all of them right now. All I know is that 2016 will be a great year for gaming. Plus FFXIV is coming out next year! Finally! Watch the apocalypse happen right before the game is due. I’ll probably yell, “OF COURSE THIS WILL HAPPEN”.
- I did not take news of Mr. Iwata’s passing well. It was a great loss for gaming fans, especially those who grew up on Nintendo. There really is no way to thank someone who gave you countless hours of pleasant memories to look back on with a smile. He was a prime example of how leaders should be. I hope he is resting in peace.
- I beat Wild Hunt a while ago. Amazing game. I am so glad that they added the New Game + option because I’ve been dying for a replay that had more a challenge to it. Really, this is the type of game that I see myself replaying over and over again. I just love it. I can’t wait for the DLCs to roll around.
- I am too deep into Realm Reborn. Help (LOL). Joking aside, it is a fantastic MMO so far. It really delivers on everything I expect in an online game. Some time soon I’ll get the Heavensward expansion, if only for that Astrologian class. It looks so cool! ; . ;
- I can’t even begin to get into Goat Simulator. It’s a great stress relief to play as a goat with a jetpack and literally crash into deadmau5’s rooftop party. That actually happened. Then I ended up eating people and turning them into watermelons that exploded. At some point goats were raining down from the game. There was a lot of panic and people falling off of the roof. It was unreal.
- My goal to replay every Final Fantasy game is going… Um, it’s going. I’m near the fourth disc of FFIX, and that’s the most progress I’ve made recently. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I’ve kind of abandoned my Vita. I couldn’t even tell you where it is right it. It was just kind of here one moment, and now I can’t find it. *sigh* I’ll get around to it. The one game I’m dying to finish is FFVI because I never got around to finishing that game. Like, not even once. Every time I got my hand on an emulator or a copy of the game some bullshit came up. The computer crashed, the ROM was corrupted, the CD broke–I just have horrible luck when it comes to FFVI. I have no idea why. All the more reason to keep pushing to finish it, right? I know I am missing out on a gem there.
- I’m so excited about the new Battlefront game. I get so excited thinking about reliving the fun I had with the old Battlefront game. Mark and I, we definitely lost a lot of sleep because of it. Let’s hope we lose a lot more sleep.
- I can’t think of anything else in terms of gaming. I do have to tackle FF Type-0, but I’m not really connecting with it right now. I’ll keep trying. Right now, I’m debating about getting either a Xbox One or Wii U. The Xbox One will have backwards compatibility which means I can still play my 360 games, but the Wii U is so fun! Each time I see one on display I am tempted to play it. Nintendo always makes these colorful, vibrant, creative games that just… warms the soul. I don’t know how else to explain it. Mario Kart 8, especially, is always extremely pleasant to play. Maybe I will take the cheaper option by just getting another 3DS. I miss my 3DS. The Vita is fun, but compared to the 3DS the game selection is… “meh”. I’ll think about it. 😐
✪ Books ✪
- Mark and I got another five-tier bookshelf, and even that wasn’t enough to hold all of our books. LOL. I think we can open a library of our own at this point. I can’t say that’s sad. I think it’s lovely. Sometimes I’ll just marvel at all the stories and information I’ve consumed over the years in the forms of these books. It amazes me, yet at the same time it concerns me… because the brain can only hold so many things. It is no wonder that I’ll remember the plot of some book I read ten years ago but I won’t remember instructions I received mere seconds prior. It happens, I guess. Anyway, I had the nerves to pick up more books recently: Sputnik Sweetheart, Pygmy, and Snuff. I love Haruki Murakami and Chuck Palahniuk, though. I see myself getting through those books in less than a week. Other books I’ve gotten are not necessarily unpleasant, but it takes time to get accustomed to the writer’s style and method of storytelling. I mean, I had that same issue with GRRM’s ASOIAF books, but once I got used to it I was hooked. I will read every single book in this apartment if it kills me. That is my goal in terms of reading.
- I recently picked up the His Dark Materials trilogy too. I have heard nothing but great things about it, and I even saw The Golden Compass movie ages ago, but I never actually read the books. I’m unbelievably late. I know. LOL
- I’ve been debating about getting The World of Ice and Fire because as much as I would like a better understanding of that entire universe I am afraid of being too influenced by it. By that I mean that I will likely start removing parts of my story if it sounds too familiar to something I learn about that story. That’s kind of dumb though, right? I mean, someone did this detailed comparison of ASOIAF to Norse mythology and it is so spot on that it is crazy. Did GRRM take a lot from Norse mythology? I don’t know. It could just be one ridiculously accurate coincidence. It happens. There are millions of stories, ancient and new. At this point it is impossible to write anything without it being oddly familiar to something else. I know people who worked hard on projects only to find a work later on that was incredibly similar. It really is moronic to expect anyone to memorize every story that has ever been written and in turn write a story that has zero elements of any of those stories. Even tropes, as funny as they are sometimes, are impossible to avoid. Stoic heroes are fascinating. Rebel princesses are interesting. Villains who were once good guys or villains who turn to good guys are a joy to witness in terms of development, regardless of how redundant it might seem in the grand scale of things. Therefore, I think it is better to just write whatever you want, and not become so obsessed with being original that you have to walk on eggshells each time you write. I guess that answers that question. I’ll get the book eventually.
✪ Music ✪
- I never get tired of listening to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Every song is perfect. So much so that if Lauryn Hill did release another album I would worry that it will pale in comparison to TMOLH. I guess that is the downside to creating a masterpiece. On one hand, you’re proud of yourself for making this piece of art that is universally loved. On the other hand, you know that it is damn near impossible to create anything that will compare to it. You’ll pretty much go your entire career hearing that lightning doesn’t strike twice and yadda yadda yadda. That must suck…
- Shoutout to Pandora for introducing me to Grizzly Bear. I didn’t know how much I needed their music until I heard it. Good stuff.
- WHY IS “FOREFATHER’S EVE” NOT IN THE WILD HUNT OST? THAT SHIT GETS ME HEATED. I know a lot of people are annoyed with there being a vocal version of “Whispers of Oxenfort” on the OST instead of the version in the game, but I don’t mind. I like the singer’s voice. Those violins in “Whispers of Oxenfort” though. Ugh, I would spend hours there just because the song is so beautiful. Then there is “Steel for Humans” and “Silver for Monsters” BEST BATTLE SONGS. “The Fields of Ard Skellig”–ALMOST TEARS. So amazing. Wild Hunt is precious in every way. (Okay, I’m done)
- Outside of that it’s just been whatever songs I’ve come across. Too many to get into. Most of them are good.
✪ TV & Movies ✪
- I decided to start watching Project Runway. So much inspiration! I am already seeing some of the critique from the judges echoing in my artwork, especially when it comes to the “keep it simple, stupid” part. You really can make a design that is breathtaking just by removing some elements. That tends to be a problem of mine. I get so much inspiration at once that I’ll try to squeeze it all in one place. I sometimes forget that as great as some ideas are the tough decision must be made to either throw some out or store them in some sort of mental bank–or in my case a notebook. Nonetheless, I love this show. I’m pretty hooked on it. >_>
- I watched the TV series version of Fargo. Just as messed up as the movie, but in a black comedy way.
- I’m so glad Hulu has the commercial-free option now. I will gladly cough up the extra $4.00 a month to not deal with that anymore. For some shows it is not so bad, but on other shows they will have a commercial like every five minutes. It drives me up the wall! And now that Hulu supposedly took the Epix deal that Netflix lost I believe there might be some great movies coming up soon. Yes, Hulu. Good.
- Geez, I can’t even recall all the movies I’ve seen in these three months. I know there was Antman (“Eh”), Ex Machina (“Great!”), and The Godfather trilogy (“Nice! …Until that last one”). Really, I have been dedicating time to catching up on those classic that I get shit for never watching. As a sci-fi fan it is a damn shame that I haven’t seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet. I’m working on it though.
✪ Whatever Else/Closing ✪
That’s all for now. I hope I update sooner than three months next time. 😐